Useful links to on-line resources discussing Latin American culture:
Links to Spanish language tools, grammar and composition aids.
Links to about the Caribbean and its diasporas and to encourage and disseminate research on all aspects of the Caribbean region and its peoples. Here are other links from their website:
- Societies & Organisations
- Caribbean Communities in Europe
- Caribbean Studies Association
- CERLAC -Center for Research on Latin America and the Caribbean.
- CLASH – Mémoire St Barth / Histoire de Saint-Barthélemy (Comité de Liaison et d’Application des Sources Historiques)
- Indo-Caribbean Studies Association
- LACC – Latin America and Caribbean Studies Center.
- National Archives – National Archives Caribbean History.
- Postcolonial Studies Association
- Society for Latin American Studies (UK Association)
- Transnational Communities – An ESRC Research Programme.
- UKCASA – UK Council for Area Studies Associations, the SCS and the Society for Latin American Studies (SLAS).
- Latineos – Latin American and Caribbean arts and culture.
- SoCaRe – Society for Caribbean Research
- The Society has been given permission by John Robert Lee, Education Officer at the Folk Research Centre, St Lucia to make available his compiled (selected) bibliography on West Indian Literature. We extend our sincerest thanks to Mr Lee.To download the bibliography in pdf, click here.
- Caribbean Journal of Science
- Critical Bibliography of Caribbean Literatures
- Interventions -International Journal of Postcolonial Studies.
- Journal of Caribbean Archaeology
- Journal of Caribbean History
- Journal of Caribbean Literatures
- Journal of Commonwealth Literature – A Journal on aspects of Commonwealth and postcolonial literatures and related areas.
- Journal of Postcolonial Writing
- Journal of West Indian Literature
- KACIKE – The Journal of Caribbean Amerindian History and Anthropology.
- Moving Worlds – A Journal of Transcultural Writing.
- Sargasso – A journal published by the Department of English at the University of Puerto Rico.
- Small Axe – A Caribbean Platform for Criticism.
- The Caribbean Review of Books
- The Caribbean Writer
- Wadabagei – A journal of the Caribbean and its diaspora.
- Wasafiri (London)
- West Indian Literature – A source list for West Indian Authors, compiled by Patrick Jamieson.
- NWIG New West Indian Guide
- Academic Staff teaching on Latin America and the Caribbean – searchable database
- BBC ‘WINDRUSH’ web site
- Black Writers Website
- CASBAH – Caribbean Studies Black and Asian History Sources Project.
- Centre for Caribbean Studies (Warwick)
- Indo-Caribbean – Indo Caribbean heritage Website.
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies
- University of West Indies (Mona)
- Granma Internacional
- Haiti Press Network
- Jamaica Gleaner Newspaper
- The Barbados Advocate
- Trinidad Guardian
- House of Nehesi
- Ian Randle Publishers
- Mango Publishing
- Papillote Press
- Peepal Tree Press
- University of the West Indies Press
- Africlassical – Arfrican Heritage in Classical Music.
- Caribbean Kitchen Webpage on Caribbean Recipes.
- Gallery of West Indian Art – Haitian, Cuban and Jamaican Art.
- Garifuna Heritage Webpage about the Garifuna Heritage.
- Jamaica Travel and Culture – Travel Guide on Jamaica.
- On the Map – Creole chant blog spot.
- The Drum – Arts Centre in Birmingham, UK, promoting African, Asian and Caribbean Art and cultural activities.
- STAR – Scottish Trans-Atlantic Relations Project.
- Vanley Burke – website on which the photographer talks about his career, including video material showing some of his more famous photographs of Caribbean Diaspora communities in Birmingham
- Caribbean Golf Society – UK-based organisation to provide a network for players, with an eye to mentoring and career advancement
Links to a Caribbean platform for social, political, and cultural criticism.
Links to more studies about Puerto Rico
Links to a resource that is a regional and extra-regional forum for the dissemination and discussion of anglophone Caribbean literary and artistic culture.
• Puerto Rico:
o El vocero (offered in Spanish) http://elvocero.com/
o El nuevo día (offered in Spanish) http://www.elnuevodia.com/
o Listín diario (offered in Spanish) http://www.listindiario.com/
o Hoy (offered in Spanish) http://hoy.com.do/
o Agencia cubana de noticias (offered in English and Spanish) http://www.acn.cu/
o Havana Times (offered in English and Spanish) – ‘open-minded writing’ but it seems somewhat more informal http://www.havanatimes.org/sp/
“Links to a Caribbean platform for social, political, and cultural criticism” Section:
• The Puerto Rican Studies link didn’t work when I checked it out
• There’s a research institution in PR called “Centro de estudios avanzados de Puerto Rico y el Caribe” that seems applicable but accessing their publications was a challenge. Not sure if it’s of value, but here’s the link: http://www.ceaprc.edu/index.htm
Societies and Organizations:
• CCCADI: Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute (located in Harlem, NY; focuses on Afro-Latino history and culture) http://www.cccadi.org/
Links to a Caribbean platform for social, political, and cultural criticism:
• The Caribbean Review of Books (formed by University of the West Indies Publishers’ Association in the ‘90s, “We focus on reviews of new and recent books of Caribbean fiction, poems, biography, arts, culture, and current affairs, but the CRB also publishes new writing, interviews, and essays on literature and culture.”) http://caribbeanreviewofbooks.com/
Links to more studies about Puerto Rico
• Center for Puerto Rican Studies (Hunter College/CUNY: “Understanding, Preserving, and Sharing the Puerto Rican Experience in the United States”) http://centropr.hunter.cuny.edu/